I have mixed feelings about #girlboss.
Reasons I love #girlboss:
- It is a rally cry for us to get up and to be seen.
- The sisterhood of entrepreneurs, makers, artists, movers and shakers who identify with it and embrace those who do so as well.
- The community it can create.
- The example it can set for young girls who still might doubt.
- It is damn catchy.
- It looks great on a sweatshirt.
Reasons I don't love #girlboss:
- I ain't no girl. I'm a damn woman.
- I don't need a catchy, cutesy label. I'm the boss. Period.
Basically, if you identify as a woman and are using #girlboss to lift us all up and to embolden us to do more, then I welcome the label #girlboss. Otherwise. I'm just boss to you.
*And yes, I chose to name my other half, the Girl Crush Project, because the expression has an established history of being used by women towards women whom they admire. Plus, it's way more catchy than Woman Crush. And would probably look better on a sweatshirt too. ;)